Things to Come

I was watching H.G.Wells's things to come, highly reccomended, and a particular scene struck me as poignant,

so I though I'd share.

A pilot had been shot down, and upon realizing his plane is leaking "biological gas"
he opts to give his gas mask to a little farm girl, saying " I've probably just dropped the gas that has killed this girls mother and father, yet here i am giving her my gas mask so that she can live. now thats funny."

I think this makes a really good point that most humans, when encountered with killing face to face, tend to turn squeamish, only the most hardened "peace" officers and psychopaths would not.

So, wihile this mechanical millitarization we have watched devolop over the last one hundred years has distanced us from our enemy and kept us safer, it has also led to a casualness about the worth of human life I don't believe would exsist if people were unable to simply bomb thier problems away.

I could be very wrong, and just influenced by this movie, but it would seem to me that you would have to be a monster to be so comfortable with killing as to be able to do it on demand, and thats what we expect our soldiers to be.
and thats what we are.

Comments